© Copyright Dual Recovery Anonymous World Services Inc 2023
All Rights Reserved
Getting Started in Dual Recovery
Dual Recovery Anonymous™ is an independent, nonprofessional, Twelve Step, self-help membership organization for people with a dual diagnosis.
Share This On:
Help with Getting Started in Dual Recovery
The DRA approach to dual recovery is based on a simple set of ideas and Steps. They are suggestions for recovery rather than a set of rules.
They encourage us to find our own personal recovery, the one that is most meaningful. They are meant to support those of us who wish to bring a spiritual dimension to our dual recovery.
The DRA program is worked on a day-by-day basis. Here are the suggestions for dual recovery:
- Today, I will be free of alcohol and other intoxicating drugs.
- Today, I will follow a healthy plan to manage my emotional or psychiatric illness.
- Today, I will practice the Twelve Steps.
The Twelve Steps of DRA:*
- We admitted we were powerless over our dual illness of chemical dependency and emotional or psychiatric illness – that our lives had become unmanageable.
- Came to believe that a Higher Power of our understanding could restore us to sanity.
- Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of our Higher Power, to help us to rebuild our lives in a positive and caring way.
- Made a searching and fearless personal inventory of ourselves.
- Admitted to our Higher Power, to ourselves, and to another human being, the exact nature of our liabilities and our assets.
- Were entirely ready to have our Higher Power remove all our liabilities.
- Humbly asked our Higher Power to remove these liabilities and to help us to strengthen our assets for recovery.
- Made a list of all persons we had harmed and became willing to make amends to them all.
- Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
- Continued to take personal inventory and when wrong promptly admitted it, while continuing to recognize our progress in dual recovery.
- Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with our Higher Power, praying only for knowledge of our Higher Power’s will for us and the power to carry that out.
- Having had a spiritual awakening as a result of these Steps, we tried to carry this message to others who experience dual disorders and to practice these principles in all our affairs.